Professional Conflict Management
This professional conflict management course which provides the skills necessary to remain calm and the tactics proven effective in diffusing difficult situations.
This course includes a four-step approach for professionally managed conflict and/or enforcing disciplinary policies, like OH&S Law. The models used are based on real life scenarios in industry settings.
Interactive modules that have participants address conflict from a variety of power positions (ie relatively equal power relations, low to high power, high to low power).
Who should take this program
This course is suitable for all workers; however, it is particularly useful for supervisors, managers, and leaders or anyone who has to enforce workplace policies.
Step One: Note Your Emotions
- Learn to recognize your “hot buttons” and identify potential sources of emotion – such as power differences and biases – so that you can control them before they control you!
Step Two: Introduce Your Story
- Learn to take accountability for your story and state your view of the issue in ways that are aimed at finding a solution to the problem, or in ways that will help you professionally gain alliance or compliance with company policies.
Step Three: Coach Their Story
- Learn communication techniques for coaching the other person’s story; learn to listen to understand their version of the problem.
Step Four: Evaluate and Extend Options
- In negotiation cases, learn to come up with solutions to an issue by using both of your stories.
- In cases of disciplinary action, learn to extend disciplinary options and respectfully enforce them.